Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Initial Plea to The Mortgage Company [9/08]

[Attorneys for Mortgage Company]
120 East Fourth Street, 8th Floor
Cincinnati, OH  45202-4007
To Whom It May Concern:


A.L. requested that I include a hardship letter with my financial analysis information.  Following is my letter with supporting documentation:


I wasn’t quite sure to begin considering that my hardship first began in October of 2007.  It was then that I was first notified of personal identity/information theft.  This theft occurred sometime during August of 2007 and was part of a mass theft via an employee of the company Certegy.  Certegy handles online billing for my bank, The ____ Bank.  At the time I was notified, it was not known if any loss had occurred.  However, I found out at a later date that losses had, in fact, occurred.  They were documented by my former bank, now known as the _____ Bank and Trust Company.  [This account has been closed due to the identity theft activity.]
As time passed and I dealt with the aftermath of the identity theft, my chronic illnesses [systemic lupus erythematosus and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome] became active and I ended up hospitalized for almost the entire month of September. 


In October I welcomed a homeless family to stay with me for six months because the woman was a state tested nursing assistant and I was in a weakened state and needed care.  Unfortunately, I did not consider her husband and three small children.  By January the husband had run up the cable bill by ordering pay-per-view shows without permission, the children were damaging the house [e.g., flushing toys down the toilet], and running up the water, phone, electric, and natural gas bills. 
Several times there were shut off notices received but I managed to pay the bills.  However, it got to the point where I was forced to evict the family because the stress of the family living in the house was negatively affecting my health instead of positively [the original reason for them moving in].  They never paid to live in the home.  Rather, I covered all expenses for them to help take care of me while I got better.

After they moved out, unusual things started happening like I would leave the house for a doctor’s appointment, come home, and furniture would be moved around.  This happened seven or eight times.  I changed the entry and deadbolt locks.  Not long after, I went to lunch and two hours later came back home to find that I couldn’t fit my key in any of the locks.  They had been jammed and had to be replaced.  I had to file a police report.  This was not the last incident.

Since May of 2001 I had been covered by Medicaid for the Disabled and did not have to pay for prescriptions or health care.  But on May 1st I went to refill some of my seventeen prescriptions at the pharmacy and the pharmacist told me that she could fill the prescriptions but I would have to pay for them because I had no insurance coverage.  I was confused and asked her to check again.  She assured me that there was no mistake – that the computer showed that I was not insured through Medicaid.  When I spoke with my caseworker, she stated that there had been a change in my case and I was no longer covered.

At the end of May I was sitting in my office paying bills when I noticed that my gas bill was extraordinarily high [$744.00].  Since I also smelled gas, I called the gas company to come out to do a check.  The gas company rep told me that there was a major leak at the meter, boiler, and some lines were also leaking so she would have to take the meter until all repairs were made.  No meter means no hot water! 
I contacted every resource I knew for help but it still turned out that the whole boiler and all the gas lines had to be replaced.  And, when inspecting for the job, the team determined that the roof was rotten around the chimney and was leaking badly [which had caused the boiler damage/leak], so I had to set up a schedule to have the roof replaced as well!  The boiler job couldn’t be completed until June 25, which meant that we were without hot water for more than a month.  Cold showers were not enjoyable.  My daughter and I heated water on the stove and in the microwave to bathe.  Voegli & Son [419-779-1259] handled the replacement of the boiler and gas lines.   

During a storm several large tree branches fell in my yard.  One grazed the roof but didn’t do any damage.  It happened the week before the roofers came, ironically.  On Monday, the roofers showed up and knocked the chimney down and replaced it with roof vents; some had to be modified by the boiler and gas lines .  I was busy concentrating on having the roof and my house taken care of – not thinking of the branches - hence one of my neighbors complained about them being down, even though they were down for less than ten days.  I’ve included the complaint in the attachment.  The complaint came a week after the branches were gone, by the way.


On July 29th the wheel bearings in the car I was driving [borrowed from my friend] gave out and I had to pay for the repairs.  The reason I was borrowing a car in the first place is that someone had borrowed my car for the day and wrecked it beyond repair.

Several weeks later, on August 17th, my house was robbed.  Not just tampering; all electronics including my desktop computer [I am sending this from Kinko’s; hence the delay], television, vcr, jewelry, et-al were stolen. 


So, you see, I’ve not been actively trying to miss payments.  I’ve been putting money into my home.  The boiler system and gas lines and roof replacement alone easily equal the payments that I’m behind. 

Ideally, I’d like to make September’s payment now and have GMAC waive June, July, and August’s payments.  Considering all the money that I’ve had to put into my home [due to all that wasn’t mentioned in the home inspection] I believe that is fair and equitable.  The remaining balance I would like attached to the end of the mortgage.

Upon acceptance of these terms, I will issue September’s payment right away and however/wherever GMAC or your office designates, with regular payments to follow on schedule via the GMAC website.
Thank you,

Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment